Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

Today I made a card to give to a special someone who inspires me on a daily basis. In honor of Earth Day I wanted to use a stamp with a tree in it. The stamp set that I used is from Unity. It is called "Plant a Tree" and it is available for purchase at their store here.




Here is the outside of the card...




The Fine Print: DP: We R Memory Keepers (Grandma's Kitchen line); Stamp: Unity (Plant a Tree); Ink: Amuse, Copic Markers; Buttons: SEI; Twill tape and twine: Joann's; Machine stitching; Punch: EK Success.

The sketch I used for this card comes from April's 2009 Issue at Sheetload of Cards. This month the sketch is hosted by The Greeting Farm stamps, but I don't have any of their stamps yet. If I am lucky I can possibly win a set of their stamps if my entry gets chosen!

You should check out Sheetload! They have great giveaways going on right now! And their sketches are wonderful and make it possible for you to make a bunch of cards with limited supplies and limited wastage of paper. They provide all the measurements to cut your paper, and you just have to put your card together and embellish it!! Try it... you will love it!!

So, more about the card!!!

I believe that recycling, repurposing, and reusing items is a wonderful thing for our community. I also believe in the benefits of planting trees, conserving paper, and protecting our ozone layer. However, while I believe in those things and LOVE the new stamp I got, I couldn't really see myself giving the stamped image away on a card to celebrate Earth Day. Earth Day just really isn't an occasion that I think of to send a card for.

Here is a closeup of the tree that I colored with my Copics and popped up in layers for added dimension.



Since I didn't want to send a card for Earth Day, I decided to turn the sentiment's meaning into another theme! So this is what I put on the inside of my card to make it appropriate to give to someone who inspires me!
The outside says,

"He who plants a tree plants a hope"

and the inside says,

"He who plants a seed inspires!"


Here is a picture of the inside sentiment and stamped image...





I masked off the tree and other words to just keep the flowers and the grass on the inside of the card. I searched handwriting fonts to find one that I felt most closely matched the sentiment's font on the stamp. I think it is pretty close! The font I used is called "A Little Pot" and can be downloaded for free here.


This card will be going out in the mail asap... I hope the person who gets it learns how much of an inspiration I feel she is to me and to others!!
Have a Happy Earth Day and may your bucket overflow with inspiration to do your part to help improve our earth!

7 comments:

Just Call Me Grammy said...

Cute cards! Love the tree.

Jenn said...

Your tree card is beautiful

Jeannie said...

Awesome card - LUV it!
Thx for the free font!

Peace and Luv,
Jeannie

Kim Costello said...

Gorgeous card Kelly Love your take on the sheetload sketch and ♥ all the little details & fabulous tree... ♥ HuGs Kim x

Maureen said...

Really cute card and I love that image!

Call Me Crafty Al said...

Congrats!! Your card was chosen for the Grand Prize!!

See this post: http://sheetload.blogspot.com/2009/05/and-april-winners-are.html

Please send your mailing address to sheetload@comcast.net and put "April Grand Prize" in the subject line.

Please make sure to let me know which set you prefer.

Thanks!!

Jacilynn said...

Wow, I really love this card. Gorgeous! I saw it on Sheetload and had to pop over and say I love it. Great Job!